Monday, December 19, 2005

Grandmother

In her 70s, my grandmother was very much overweight. She rocked from side to side when she walked.
One morning she decided to walk to the synagogue, a mile or two away, and asked me to accompany her.
I was maybe 8.
She leaned heavily on me as she walked. She struggled past one block, a block and a half. Gasping for breath. But afraid of her husband’s ange if she did not arrive – he was already at the synagogue, waiting for her. (Why didn’t she drive? Why didn’t someone drive her? I just this minute wondered. And came up with the answer: It was Saturday, and Jews are not allowed to drive on Saturday.)
She kepy saying, he will be so angry with me!
She decided, sorrowfully, to return home. I was so relieved. I couldn’t imagine her actually walking all the way to the synagogue.
I'e harbored resentment against my grandfather ever since that day.