Sunday, August 05, 2007

Notes

My journalist friends who have retired, and are miserable, want me to retire and be miserable like them.
But my women friends who have retired don't seem miserable. For my generation, perhaps, a woman's identity isn't so bound up with her career.

---
Busy weekend! I placed a stone on Hannah Arendt's grave at Bard College...saw a program of Purcell at Bard, including Dido and Aeneas...saw Bourne Ultimatum, which as the critics have said, was fast-paced and shrewd...the new villain isn't SMERSH or terrorists but bad apples within the CIA...and started packing in earnest for our move to another apartment in Hackensack...

---
I'm writing a regular column, unpaid, for a website called Gurufocus...but my reviews have been negative! Perhaps because I write for general readers, for devotees of mutual funds, not for monomanical stock investors...
---
My life will change without writing regular columns for Gannett...I can allow myself to read more general books instead of all the financial books I had to read, in order to grind out 3 columns a week...And I won't be going to NYC so often to interview people & attend press conferences...Also, my self-esteem has been (temporarily, I hope) eroded in that I will soon no longer be a syndicated financial columnist...
---
Freelancing? I'll bet the field is very crowded now, what with so many journalists not having steady employment...At a recent press conference in NYC, I was surrounded by "freelance" financial writers...

---