Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy Birthday, Hugo

Cleaning out some files, I came upon the "declaration of intent" of my grandfather, Hugo Boroson (Borochsohn).

It was dated Feb. 8, 1907.

He was 43, 135 pounds, dark brown hair, brown hair, white, fair complexion. No distinctive marks. Occupation: tinsmith.

He was born in Curland (Kurland), Russia on Jan. 1, 1864, and was living in Brooklyn.

He came to the US from Russia via Bremen, Germany, on the vessel Hohenzollern, arriving in New York on Dec. 28, 1891.

"It is my bona fide intention to renounce forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, and particularly to

Nicholas II emperor of Russia [this was an insert]

of which I am now a subject."

"I am not an anarchist; I am not a polygamist or a believer in the practice of polygamy; and it is my intention in good faith to become a citizen of the United States of America and to permanently reside herein; SO HELP ME GOD."

He had several children, many grandchildren (including me), and many great-grandchildren. A lot of musical talent, and brains, in the family.

Today, Jan. 1, 2008, would be Hugo's 144th birthday.