Wednesday, May 28, 2008

ESL

I've given up on ESL.
My first student disappeared. My second student disappeared (with my Spanish dictionary). After maybe two visits each.
My last student, whom I liked, who was intelligent and nice, and whom I tutored maybe seven or eight times, stood me up twice. The second time, I threw in the towel.
I have to get up early. Drive in rush hour. Around 20 minutes. Make sure I'm on time. Prepare a lesson.
I even bought an expensive Learn Spanish book for her.

I know, poor people are in a chronic state of emergency.
But...I'm busy as it is. I don't get paid for this. I'm helping only one person. And she should have called. And...
the library, which sponsors ESL, should have made it clear to the students: They must not stand up volunteers.

Anyway, my old friend Roy had loved teaching foreigners English. But he was luckier than I was.

Someday I may rejoin ESL. At a closer place.
And I'll let any students know: DON'T STAND ME UP OR ELSE.