Thursday, August 14, 2008

Moe Berg

Recently I wrote about the Major League catcher, Moe Berg--who, after his baseball career was over, became a spy for the US-- and once was deputized to assassinate Werner Heisenberg if the famous German physicist said that the Nazis were close to developing a nuclear weapon--

A professor of religion wrote to me, pointing out that there was a more recent book about Berg than the one I had mentioned--titled "The Catcher Was a Spy"--

I finally got it--

A play on "The Catcher in the Rye"--

Two people I interviewed for my article mentioned Moe Berg--Peter Horvitz, author of books about Jewish athletes, happened to buy some books that Berg had sold to a bookstore in Princeton--and that got him interested in learning more about athletes--

A recently retired NTTimes sports columnist, Murray Chass, used to drive to Princeton games with Berg--but didn't know who he was then!

Labels: