Friday, July 07, 2006

Scary Movies

I love scary movies. Like Alien. Or the mummy movies I saw as a kid, or the House of Frankenstein/Dracula/Wolfman movies.

Why? I'm told that timid people in particular like such movies. It's true in my case.

But I think there are two basic reasons:

1. It's pleasant to be scared when you know you're safe. (The pleasure of reading murder mysteries, I'm told, comes from knowing that someone has committed a dastardly crime--and knowing that it wasn't you.)

2. It's somewhat pleasant to express almost ANY emotion. Some people like to express anger. (A woman who was mad at me for months later confessed how much pleasure it gave her.) Or to feign sorrow. (I saw a child do this.) Or gladness. The pleasure of skiing or hang-gliding or similar sports comes from, I suspect, the pleasure of experiencing a little bit of fear.